Consumer rights

The law protects your consumer rights when you buy goods or services. Find out who to contact for consumer protection advice.

You can get help if you’re treated unfairly or when things go wrong. This includes:

  • credit and store cards
  • faulty goods
  • counterfeit goods
  • poor service
  • problems with contracts
  • problems with builders
  • rogue traders

Get help from Citizens Advice about your consumer rights. They can also refer your complaint to local Trading Standards officers who will then investigate on your behalf.

Citizens Advice
0345 404 0506 
0345 404 0505 (Welsh language) 
Find out about call charges

You can also get information about complaints, refunds and repairs fromWhich?

Complain to an ombudsman

An ombudsman is a person who investigates complaints about organisations for free. They may be able to help you resolve a complaint without going to court.

There are different ombudsmen for different industries.

You can use the Ombudsman Association to find the right ombudsman for your complaint.

Money advice

You can get free, independent help from the Money Advice Service about anything to do with money, eg managing debt.

Northern Ireland

Contact ConsumerLine for advice about consumer law, making a complaint and avoiding scams.

Buying from another EU country

Contact the UK European Consumer Centre for help with problems buying from another EU country.


Copyright © Consumer Academy 2015
This publication has been produced by Turkish Republic Ministry of Customs and Trade with the support of the Erasmus+ Programme of the European Union within the concept of the Project titled ‘Consumer Academy’. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of Turkish Republic Ministry of Customs and Trade and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the Turkish National Agency and the Commission.